Head of Technical
- Department / Function
- Contract Type
- Working Pattern
- Job Advert Summary
About the role
To manage the quality and due diligence of all wine products purchased by the C&C Group and to ensure consistent product quality and to limit all quality related issues associated with purchasing and shipping of bulk and bottled wines.
All elements of the Supply Chain are to be included and assessed from production, packaging, transportation, and storage. By ensuring that the C&C Group have effective due diligence procedures in place, this will help towards inspiring confidence in both customers and suppliers, demonstrating that C&C strive for technical excellence and can be trusted as a preferred partner.
- Job Advert Description
What you'll do
- Management, mentoring, and continual development of the Wine Technical Team based in the London office but also working remotely.
- Building and management of trusted relationships with key suppliers and customers.
- Supporting the business in all departmental functions, providing advice and technical guidance where necessary.
- Developing the Technical Team to be the highest performing in the industry both in technical expertise and relationship development.
- To establish, maintain and continually motivate a culture of high performance and technical knowledge across the business where relevant, in particular within the sales team.
- To ensure the Group is legally compliant with regard to importing and distributing wines.
- To ensure the documented Quality Management System is maintained and developed according to relevant legislation and recognised industry Best Practice.
- Guiding the Sustainability Team on issues relating to wine such as glass bottle weights, water use and Sustainability programs.
The role involves flexible working hours, and there will be some travel abroad and in the UK.
- Demonstrable management experience encompassing support, personal development and motivation of a team.
- A thorough understanding of wine, particularly in regards to wine chemistry and wine quality.
- An understanding of the main challenges and priorities for the wine industry within the UK and Globally in terms of technical, quality, legal and authenticity of products.
- Experience of different packaging formats such as glass, PET, BIB, and cans from a practical and wine quality and wine chemistry perspective.
- Strategic planning experience and project management
- Experienced (wine) production site auditor
- Experience of working with both large and small wine production and packaging sites
- Experienced with or knowledgeable about, the BRCGS Agents & Broker’s
- Knowledge of the UK and Global resources for information relating to wine, particularly in regards to legal and best practice requirements.
Sustainability: environmental, social and economic
- An understanding of the different areas of Sustainability and what they mean: environmental, social and economic.
- Experience of working with Sedex and SMETA audits.
- A good overview and understanding of the main sustainability issues facing the Global wine trade such as packaging, waste, water, clean environment, landscape & biodiversity, resources, energy, people & business.
- Awareness and knowledge of packaging reduction programmes such as WRAP (Waste and Resources Action Programme) and GlassRite.
- An understanding of how different packaging formats perform in terms of wine sustainability but also wine quality
- An understanding of the sustainability issues in wine supply chains such as bulk shipping versus shipping in bottle and the associated cost advantages/disadvantages.
- Awareness of the different sustainability programs used in the major wine producing regions
- Educated to degree level, ideally in Food Science or Oenology
- WSET Diploma
- Third party auditor qualification (preferably BRCGS)
- HACCP trained with demonstrable experience in risk assessment and risk management for wine
- Vintage or winemaking experience.
- Experience in wine and/or food production
What we offer
This is a place for people who enjoy the buzz of constant change. We offer a range of excellent benefits as well as great on-site facilities. You can expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Bonuses – personal and company performance
- Pension scheme
- Health insurance
- Life assurance, plus access to staff sales, childcare vouchers and a cycle to work scheme, and a whole lot more!
- Full job description